Thursday, January 14, 2010

A la mode at Grub, Vancouver

Grub on Main is a lot more than just grub. The citrus salsa, fresh scallops in a pestoey perfect risotto beside the daily catch blew my socks off. The long narrow spot with the daily blackboard menu served outstanding food - even for Vancouver diners' high standards.

In London I was paying the equivalent to $20 for a small meal of sub-par sushi to get my fix. And I certainly struggled to find a large fruit and protein dressed salad when 'salad' often refers to one piece of lettuce and tomato.
I'm curious what the reactions to hospitality industry will be during the big O. (Vancouver Olympics)

Amazing food, cheap, and over the TOP service. I'm from here and I was startled when the smiley, friendly, busty, doe-eyed, straightened-hair waitress served us. Then I looked around and was overwhelmed. The spot for my diner date was Joey's off Robson. All the waitresses dressed snugly in black were overly attentive and wanted to know how my wine was. I'm a girl...a hetero girl..and it perked me up.

But once I was in a deep conversation with my date, ie Maggie, I kept wondering when our server would stop making small talk with us. The wait staff is a big part of the dining experience out here. That seems obvious, but in Europe, or for sure in London, restaurants seemed to try to make the meal go smoothly while being as unnoticeable as possible. No banter anywhere. Charity and I scared many a bus boys by making jokes with them.

So, I am thrilled to be back in Vancouver for dinner. And I think we are going to have some very happy campers at dining tables in February.

Oh yeah...to top off our meal at Grub we had a real granny’s pear pie... à la mode of course. And there is my blog name. Conveniently I'll be writing about fashion here as well. Paris next week...Autumn/Winter 2010 men's showsss...il sera incroyable! I'm also trying to improve my French. So will be inappropriately throwing in French bits here and there.

www.grubonmain.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment