Thursday, May 13, 2010

A tabby cat, a dirndl, two mannequins and a low table

.
Photo by Bruce Buck for the New York Times.

When I lived at the end of Queen Street West in Toronto with my lesbian film student roommate, we didn't have any normal chairs in the house. Alex explained when I first moved in how it just felt better being closer to the ground. The diner table was dark wood like this one with wicker squatting cushions. As a posture conscious person I was skeptical at first. But pretty quickly I loved it. It was a small square table so group dinners felt really intimate.

Since there wasn't a couch or anywhere else to sit, each morning Alex and I would get comfy on the kitchen counter top and wait for the coffee to brew. We then sat there having 'counter talk' until the pot was done. We talked about boys, and girls, and everything in between.

Alexandra was mid 30's at the time and had an amazing partner, Rosie, who I also loved. They were like two mom/sister/freinds to me. Rosie taught me how to cook her Italian grandma's vegetarian lasagna that has peas and sliced hard-boiled eggs in it, and took me for rides on her 'aubergine' coloured Vespa. Alex proposed to Rosie while I lived there through a silent film which I helped her make. I learned a lot about girl girl couple complexities like gay girls as friends and the various situations that arise.

There were two entangled naked mannequins in a corner of the apartment, a tabby cat and a signed photo of the 80's singer who sang "Black Velvet".  I hadn't heard of her but it she was a one-hit wonder Alex loved.

Those were great days. I was single, doing costume design for film, working at a Bavarian Beer Stube where I had to wear a dirndl, and in my last year of university.  Funny. So anyways, my conclusion is that people who have low tables without chairs are great. I like the look of this home for multiple reasons. So much space to do cartwheels and stretch and paint and leave piles of clothes. Let's put it in Paris and sign me up.




















Oh I found a photo of that flat! The table was right in front of the mannequins.

No comments:

Post a Comment